Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Homestead Pantry Tip: Chicken Anyone??

Christmas has come and gone (although the decorations are still lingering at our house until January 6th) and now we are rapidly heading into the New Year! 2011 here we come! I have at least 3 blog posts swirling around in my head in regards to Christmas successes and New Year's ideas, but all I have time for right now is this quickie.

When I went grocery shopping last night I noticed something I hadn't thought about before. Almost the entire section of Fred Meyer's chicken had reduced prices for quick sale. That seems very logical, because really, who is buying chicken the week of Christmas?! Not very many Americans I assure you. We're all salivating over turkey, ham, prime rib, and even lamb. Chicken? Not so much. So, it would make sense that the stores would have a lot of chicken to clear out a couple days after Christmas. The cuts I found last night were still 2 days out from the 'sell by' date which makes it perfect for using immediately, or to load up the freezer-which I would be doing wholeheartedly if we weren't moving... *sigh*

So, even if you don't need any chicken right away this year, be sure to file this away in your cranium for next year. As you pull things out of the freezer to prepare your holiday meals, leave the holes there to fill up with cuts of chicken afterward.

Blessings, and Happy New Year!
Hillary At Home
PS-And don't forget about those reduced prices on Turkeys come January! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment